Individual Post #3

The first reading of the week, “Open Pedagogy”, focuses heavily on the idea of students being able to shape their learning architecture and have an open dialogue with both the content of a course and in a sense, the course itself. This is a concept I find very interesting as I feel that the majority of my higher education experience has employed a rigid structure that students had to work to fit into. I would like to see more communication between students and educators about the ways they learn and in an online setting this could be explored further to more personally tailor learning to individuals. This does present an issue discussed in earlier readings, however, about educational discrimination as personalized learning contunies to grow in online education.

The second reading of the week touches on a sentiment discussed in an earlier week’s reading about how interest and curiosity based learning. I first found myself asking how limited access to potentially dark parts of academia is hurtful in training institutions until remembering one of the core ideas of education reform is creating an inquiry framework that allows students to indulge their curiosity and run with it. In this sense, digital redlining is a threat to open information and more importantly, resource allocation equality.

The third reading of the week focuses on perhaps the most flaw in education today which is Indigenous people’s access to a fulfilling and enriching educational experience. We have read a lot about things like cyber security in online learning, learner engagement, and open learning but it would seem that these are secondary issues in indigenous education. The needs outlined in “Design principles for indigenous learning spaces” closely echo principles I feel were very present in my education and it should be a top priority for educational reform programs to focus on engaging indigenoius people with their education.

A Guide to Making Open Textbooks with Students
Digital Redlining, Access, and Privacy
Safe Learning Spaces. Youth, Literacy and New Media in Remote Indigenous Australia.